To ensure food safety and integrated biosecurity system for socio-economic wellbeing and sustainable environment.
To safeguard plants, animals and environment from biosecurity threats and ensure safe food for the consumers through science-based approaches for socio-economic wellbeing and sustainable environment.
- Implement the RNR policies and legislations such as, Biosecurity Policy of Kingdom of Bhutan 2010, Plant Quarantine Act of Bhutan 1995, Seed Act of Bhutan 2000, Pesticide Act of Bhutan 2000, Livestock Act of Bhutan 2001, Food Act of Bhutan 2005, Biosafety Act of Bhutan 2015 and other related Regulations and Standards;
- Implement sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures effectively to protect the health and life of humans, plants and animals including the environment from risks of entry, establishment and spread of exotic pests and diseases.
- Implement plant and animal biosecurity measures;
- Function as the National Authority to ensure quality and safety of food and feed;
- Regulate products derived from genetically modified organisms;
- Function as the Inspection and Certification Body for food and agriculture/livestock products; Bhutan Organic, Good Agriculture Practices;
- Provide food testing services for biological and chemical parameters;
- Implement animal welfare Standards;
- Conduct relevant research related to Biosecurity and Food Safety;
- Function as the Focal Points for International Organizations viz.,
– International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC),
– Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC),
– National Enquiry Point for World Trade Organization-Sanitary and Phytosanitary Agreement (WTO-SPS agreement),
– International Food Safety Authorities Network (INFOSAN) for International Health Regulations (IHR)
– Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety (CPB) for Conventional Biodiversity (CBD)