BAFRA shall strive to contribute towards the national goal of food self sufficiency by safeguarding the farming system of the country from exotic pests and diseases and ensuring quality farming inputs through effective enforcement of standards and regulations.
It shall facilitate the development of agro-based industries and enhance Bhutan’s ability to compete in the global market, thereby improving the livelihood of the Bhutanese people. It shall endeavor to assure that foods are of good quality and safe for consumption.
- Implement RNR related legal instruments such as the Plant Quarantine Act, Seed Act, Pesticide Act, Livestock Act, Food Act, National Biosafety Framework, Forest and Nature Conservation Act, Biodiversity Act and their secondary and tertiary legislations.
- Implement sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures effectively to protect the health and life of humans, plants and animals including the environment from risks of entry, establishment and spread of exotic pests and diseases.
- Function as a National Food Inspectorate to ensure that food is of good quality and safe for human consumption.
- Regulate and promote the quality of agriculture inputs (seeds, agro-chemicals, livestock, veterinary biological, etc).
- Facilitate development of agro based industries to promote trade and market access through standardization and implementation of quality assurance systems.
- Function as the Competent Authority (CA) for implementation of the Biosafety Act for safe transfer, handling and use of Living modified Organisms (LMOs), Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) and their products.
- Function as the Focal Points for International Organizations viz.,
- International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC),
- Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC),
- National Enquiry Point for World Trade Organization-Sanitary and Phytosanitary Agreement (WTO-SPS agreement),
- International Food Safety Authorities Network (INFOSAN) for International Health Regulations (IHR)
- Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety (CPB) for Conventional Biodiversity (CBD)