The Codex Standards and Texts have been referenced in the Food Act of Bhutan 2005 as one of the key references for establishment of national Standards and Technical Regulations on food quality and safety. The structures that have crucial role to play in promoting Codex related works in Bhutan are as described below and as depicted in the Figure 01:
- National Food Quality and Safety Commission (NFQSC): Highest decision-making body on food quality and safety.
- Bhutan Agriculture and Food Regulatory Authority (BAFRA)
- Head of BAFRA is the National Codex Contact Point (NCCP)
- Bhutan (Codex) Secretariat is established in BAFRA to manage the works of Codex in Bhutan.
- National Codex Committee (NCC): Comprises of national experts from relevant agencies to provide technical opinion on food safety, quality and standards.
- Codex Sub-committee (s): Comprises of national technical experts to assist works of NCC and function as shadow committees to Codex Committees of CAC.